The mission of AniMatch, a program of the Massachusetts Animal Coalition, is to give adoptable dogs in Massachusetts a chance at adoption by developing a network of animal welfare organizations and facilitating the transfer of dogs from animal control agencies and registered animal welfare organizations to shelters and rescues that may have better resources to place these pets in forever homes.
AniMatch is seeking volunteers to fill these roles:
- Behavior Observer--Conducts hands-on behavior observations of shelter dogs. Training required: 3 sessions, 1 and ½ days of training.
- Behavior Observer Scribe--Observes evaluation, records dog's behaviors and observation results on standard form. Training required: 3 sessions, 1 and ½ days of training.
- Transporter--Provides transportation for AniMatch dogs from originating shelter to receiving organization. Training required: 2 sessions, one day of training.
- Caseworker--Acts as liaison between originating shelter and receiving organization. Orientation class required.
- General administrative support--includes office work, database management, public relations, grant writing and fundraising.
Here are some things you need to know before applying:
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Volunteering with AniMatch requires a 6 month minimum commitment.
- For positions requiring direct animal contact, you must have prior animal handling experience.
- We provide all volunteers with an orientation and training. Volunteer opportunities that require working hands-on with animals require up to three classroom training sessions. Attendance at these training sessions requires a somewhat flexible schedule.
- Some positions require use of your own car. A current driver’s license and proof of insurance is necessary.
- Some volunteer tasks are time-sensitive; others require the ability to make and receive phone calls and send and receive emails during normal daytime work hours.
- We do not participate in court ordered community service programs.
- We are a non-profit staffed by volunteers. AniMatch does not reimburse for mileage, gas or auto maintenance, or other out-of-pocket expenses incurred without prior approval. However, because the Massachusetts Animal Coalition is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization, volunteers may be eligible for a tax write-off on their federal taxes. For more information visit www.irs.gov.
If this sounds interesting to you and you’d like to pursue volunteer opportunities with AniMatch, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send you an application.
For more ideas about how to help Massachusetts animals, please go to the Help Locally page.